For details on the accessibility problems this plug-in solves (or attempts to solve), check out the WP Accessibility page at Make.WordPress.org/Accessibility.
Current Version: 1.7.0
Tested to: 5.3.2
Last updated: 2019-12-26 8:48pm GMT
This plug-in helps with a variety of common accessibility problems in WordPress themes. While most accessibility issues can’t be addressed without directly changing your theme, WP Accessibility adds a number of helpful accessibility features with a minimum amount of setup or expert knowledge.
All features can be disabled according to your theme’s needs. For advanced users, all of the functions based on modifying stylesheets can be customized using your own custom styles by placing the appropriate stylesheet in your theme directory.
Accessibility Features added by WP Accessibility:
- Add skip links with user-defined targets. (Customizable targets and appearance.)
- Add language and text direction attributes to your HTML (HyperText Markup Language) attribute
- Add an outline to the keyboard focus state for focusable elements.
- Add a toolbar toggling between high contrast, large print, and desaturated (grayscale) views of your theme.
- Add a long description to images. Use the image’s “Description” field to add long descriptions.
- Enforcement for alt attributes on images.
- Easily identify images without alt attributes in the Media Library
Accessibility Issues fixed by WP Accessibility:
- Remove the target attribute from links.
- Force a search page error when a search is made with an empty text string. (If your theme has a search.php template.)
- Remove tabindex from elements that are focusable.
- Strip title attributes from images inserted into content.
- Remove redundant title attributes from page lists, category lists, and archive menus.
- Add post titles to standard “read more” links.
- Address some accessibility issues in the WordPress admin styles
- Add labels to standard WordPress form fields if missing
Accessibility Tools built into WP Accessibility:
- Show the color contrast between two provided hexadecimal color values.
- Enable diagnostic CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to show CSS-detectable problems in visual editor or on front-end of site.
Learn more! Read about the accessibility issues corrected by WP Accessibility!
The plug-in is intended to help with deficiencies commonly found in themes and to solve some issues in WordPress core. It can’t correct every problem (by a long shot), but provides tools to fix some issues, supplement the accessibility of your site, or identify problems.